Religion News Service: In-depth. Impartial. Engaged.

Blogs » David Gibson - Sacred and Profane

Sacred and Profane has moved: Click here to read the latest posts

Catholics like their Bishops, love their Nuns

The U.S. Catholic Bishops have been in the middle of a number of tough fights this year and in a contentious struggle with American nuns who are under fire from the Vatican. Yet they still manage a pretty impressive approval rating.

As this graphic from the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life shows, 24 percent of American Catholics say they "very satisfied" with the hierarchy and another 46 percent say they are "somewhat satisfied" for an overall 70 percent approval.

On the other hand, the American nuns get a hefty 83 percent approval rating -- 50 percent "very satisfied," and 33 percent "somewhat satisfied.

Maybe ordination isn't everything?

PS: This poll was from last summer, so who knows what the rough-and-tumble presidential campaign did to the hierarchy's numbers.

 

Topics: Faith, Leaders & Institutions
Beliefs: Christian - Catholic
Tags: approval rating, catholic bishops, catholic church, nuns

Comments

  1. Caring for the POOR, SICK and DISENFRANCHISED cannot be over-looked by the Bishops in order to over-turn Roe vs. Wade.  Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior never turned his back on the poor and the sick…like the Catholic Bishops did this year…it was disappointing at best! Nuns on a Bus however was inspiring and Social Justice is mentioned over 300 times in the Bible…

Sign In



Forgot Password?

You also can sign in with Facebook or Twitter if you've connected your account to them.

Sign In Using Facebook

Sign In Using Twitter